Thursday, October 13, 2011

A follow-up to yesterday's post

After much speculation all day yesterday about whether I should go back and take a picture of that heart I found on the ground or not, today I went out in search of it to see if it was still there.

It was.

I was surprised at just how easy I was able to find it again when I went looking for it!

Now yesterday, when I had seen it, I had assumed this to be a chunky plastic bead or some such thing. As my eyes landed upon it today, I thought it to be a piece of painted wood. No, no... Upon closer inspection, this is actually a colored piece of soft foam. (Annnnd into the pocket it goes.)

How interesting, though, that as I began to walk with it, the same sort of deep introspective thoughts began tol roll around inside my brain. When I first passed this by, I had thought it was plastic - and metaphorically, when I passed it, I thought it was something cold and hardened, able to weather the storms of the world, even if a little worse for wear. Able to fend for itself, I left it be. Yet, when I came back to it and actually looked at it for myself, I found it to be something soft, vulnerable, and warm. Something that would certainly be destroyed if left alone again. I picked it up and turned it over while still looking at it and dusting it off and found the damage to the back, where it clearly used to have been glued to something - who knows what - but had fallen off. Yet it took the eyes of someone with a gentle nature to recognize it as something of worth, something lovely, something worth saving.... I can't help but make the comparison to those of us who've had our hearts broken, been left behind, kicked to the curb, but eventually became loved again once someone special found us who saw us for what we're truly worth. Perhaps a little worse for wear around the edges, but still good.

For the record, I took it home, washed it clean, and glued it to the side of my bookcase. Now she has a permanent home. :) I know, it's something small and silly, and all of you reading this probably think I'm nuts for making such a big deal out of it, but it was profoundly meaningful to me. It's often the tiny things like this that make the biggest impact for me.


Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at will change.

3 comments:

  1. I have a sparkly silver one I found once outside, and have kept for awhile now. Glad I'm not the only one picking hearts up randomly off the ground. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice!! this little find was a gift meant to be treasured *just by you*. I'm so glad you went back for it. look at the new inspiring lessons and thoughts it brought to you. see thats a gift from God. REMEMBER the introspection it brought to you whenever it catches your glance again. you were given a precious gift. keep your eyes and heart open always. serendipity can be all around you at anytime! thanks for sharing this story with us all. ~peace~ BETH M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw, I thought it was gonna turn out to be a pet ID tag. it being something more organic and decorative is cool too ~ BETH M.

    ReplyDelete