Wednesday, October 12, 2011

How Easy It Is To Pass Love By

I took my morning walk, as I usually do, and brought my camera with me today. Sometimes I do that. I get into a mood where I just feel artistic and see the world through a pair of rose-colored glasses, and I see the art and beauty in everything and just want to capture it as best I can the way that I see it.

As I was walking up my street, in the final stretch to my house (it's a long street), something on the ground caught my eye and made me pause for just a moment. A little pinky-purple plastic heart was laying on the ground, amidst the leaves and suburban debris. I smiled to myself a little and continued walking. As I walked, I found myself waxing poetic (probably much more than I should have) about my secret find.

Love is everywhere. Even in the most unexpected of places. You might pass right by it and not even know it. Not even recognizing it for what it is and dismissing it without a second thought. Taking it completely for granted.

I started to debate whether or not I should walk back and take a picture of it after all, given all these deep thoughts it was sparking...or better still, go and pick it up and keep it. I decided against it, figuring that maybe I'll just take a picture of it tomorrow and take it if it's still there and if no one's looking. This, too, evoked deep thoughts.

How careless and thoughtless we can be sometimes with other people's hearts. Putting it into perspective, I might say that this could be a reflection of the way we've been known to treat people before. We may know damn well someone has feelings for us, but frankly, we just don't about them. Or we don't want to take the time of day and effort involved in it. Or we're worried about how it would look if we were seen with so and so and only dare give them the time of day if nobody will know about it. We might put this person on the backburner... Not completely shooting them down, but keeping them in mind as a 'just in case all else fails' type of thought. You assume that if nothing else, they'll still be there later and if you feel like it, you might pursue something then. And then the reality of life sets in when you realize that when you're ready for them, they probably won't still be there...either metaphorically speaking (i.e. they're now taken), or physically they are no longer there. And yet, we let pride run our lives. We usually don't even realize it when it's happening, and it's only upon deeper inspection and reflection that we realize this about ourselves.

As humans, we are very strange and complex creatures. It's part of what makes us wonderful and beautiful, but it's part of what sets us apart from all of God's other creatures as well in a negative way too. It's easy to say things such as all you need is love, but when it comes down to it, how many of us *actually* live by such words? I'll give you a hint: there wouldn't be so many lonely people in the world if we did as we said. We're picky, we're egotistical, we're spoiled. As such, it's so easy to walk right past love and not even recognize it for what it is....and you may have just walked past Mr. or Ms. Right, for all you know. We need to really learn to open our eyes and listen with our hearts. This is something that as a society, we're progressively losing a grip on. Technology has come so far, and brought so many people together that otherwise never would have met for geographical or other reasons...and yet, we're losing the simple art of human touch and connection.

Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment